Just got a request for a recommendation from a former colleague that required me to do extra work. These are my tips for encouraging a reference to willingly cooperate with a positive reference.
1) Provide contact name, title and direct email address
2) Describe position applied for and why it is desirable
3) Outline what skills are required and remind the reference of related assignments completed for them
4) Be sure to express appreciation and offer to talk on phone/address any concerns
5) Follow-up to let reference know the outcome or make them aware of delays.
← Back to The JobWhiz Blog